Office of National Marine Sanctuaries Reviewing Sanctuary Boundaries
The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of National Marine Sanctuaries has published a “Notice of intent to review boundaries; intent to prepare environmental impact statement; hold scoping meetings.”
NOAA’s published notice explains that the Office of National Marine Sanctuaries is reviewing the Monitor National Marine Sanctuary boundaries in order to evaluate and consider the benefits, need and impact of expanding the sanctuary’s boundaries to include additional submerged maritime cultural and archaeologic resources as described in the February 2013 Monitor National Marine Sanctuary Final Management Plan and Environmental Assessment.
This review process will be conducted per the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA).
NOAA must receive any comments by March 18, 2016.
Public scoping meetings will be held on the following dates:
(1) Raleigh, NC Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Location: North Carolina Museum of History Address: 5 East Edenton St., Raleigh, NC 27601
(2) Beaufort, NC Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Location: North Carolina Maritime Museum Address: 315 Front St., Beaufort, NC 28516
(3) Hatteras, NC Date: Thursday, February 11, 2016, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Location: Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum Address: 59200 Museum Dr., Hatteras, NC 27943
(4) Washington, DC Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Location: United States Navy Memorial, Main Auditorium Address: 701 Pennsylvania Ave. NW., Washington, DC 20004
(5) Nags Head, NC Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 6:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Location: Jennette’s Pier, Oceanview Hall Address: 7223 S. Virginia Dare Trail, Nags Head, NC 27959
Leave a reply