From CRE’s DME Hotline: 1-800-613-7678 (Denver, CO)

I’m one of the people who gets home care oxygen. I’m 90 years old, and my man brings the oxygen tanks, the oxygen, and helps me watch my breathing and my oxygen content. And if that law passes, I will die because I will be unable to handle the tubing and the oxygen….”

Listen to Complete Call

2 Responses to “From CRE’s DME Hotline: 1-800-613-7678 (Denver, CO)”

1. Anonymous said:

Oct 03, 09 at 9:56 am

yesterday i recieved a call from an elderly oxygen patient who is on high flow oxygen to his trach. his patient owned suction machine was not working properly and he called me for help. i was at his house in 15 minuets and quickly fixed the problem with no charge to him or medicare. he was my oxygen patient and asked for my help because he choose our company based on our reputation and proximity to him, in case he would need exactly the type of assistance that he needed yesterday. When this law goes into effect he may or may not have my company to service his oxygen, but it will be difficult to provide him rapid and free service under the reimbursement we would likely receive. without that free help he would have aspirated, called 911 and been transported to an ER then in all probability been admited. What is lees costly??? It’s not about the equipment delivered it’s about taking care of those we provide it to.

2. Hank said:

Oct 05, 09 at 9:11 am

As the president of a Boston based respiratory company I would quickly like to share a few issues in regards to the completely irrational decisions that CMS has made:

1. We had a capped patient at MGH who wanted to spend her last months living with her daughter in Virginia. We couldn’t find a provider in that section of Virginia wiling to service her. She spent 3 extra nights at MGH and ultimately we had to UPS her concentrator to her daughters house in Virginia.

2. A small DME company in Mass is deciding not to continue in the Medicare program and will be filing Chapter 11 soon. 29 out of 75 oxygen patients are capped. We were approached by this company to help them out. Unfortunately for the patients the company can not find a provider willing to service 29 capped patients who all require tanks and liquid. These patients were sent a letter stating that in 30 days they will not have a provider.

3. I along with many other providers are bucking the rule that Medicare put forth that we are responsible for our traveling oxygen patients. We as a company can not incure thousands of dollars in expenses when a capped out patient wants to travel. Why hasn’t this industry filed an injunction in relation to this. Any sane judge would understad that it is impossible for a provider to take care of a patient for free for 2 years

Leave a Reply